Selling your home and planning a move? Thorough planning is the key to an easy move. Experience tells us most moves take 8 to 10 weeks from start to finish, so start early. Here's your 8-week guide:
8 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Call for estimates from professional movers
- Draw a floorplan of your new home. Use decorating charts and a grid to place furniture to scale in each room and decide which furniture to move, and which to dispose of, replace or add.
6 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Inventory all possessions. Decide what to move, sell, replace or donate to charity.
- Complete Canada Post change of address forms, mail to media, stores, organization.
- Obtain copies of all medical, dental, legal, accounting, and veterinarian records.
- Make arrangements for records transfer between schools on both ends of the move.
4 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Repair, send out for re-upholstery or clean furniture, drapes and carpeting if necessary.
- Advertise garage sale to dispose of unneeded furniture, accessories, clothes etc.
- If professional mover are packing your goods, schedule packing day(s) before move.
- If you move yourself, order adequate boxes, packing materials and tape now.
- Arrange for short-term or long-term storage if you need it.
- Make travel arrangements for pets, including necessary medical records, immunizations, etc.
3 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Assemble sufficient supply of packing materials and equipment.
- Pack items you don’t use immediately or that will go into storage.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move, order termination or turn-on for occupancy date.
- Confirm final travel arrangements for family and pets.
2 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Prepare auto(s) or trip to new home. Check tires and have car(s) serviced before the move.
- Terminate newspaper and other delivery services
- Confirm new bank accounts by phone and fax.
- Schedule an appliance service firm for moving day to prepare major appliances for the move.
1 WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
- Gather important papers, records, valuables or protected shipment to new home or safe deposit box.
- Notify friends and neighbours of new address and phone number if available.
- Make plans for young children to be cared for on moving day.
- Fill any necessary prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks.
DAY BEFORE THE MOVE....AND MOVING DAY
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer. Give away all food in both units.
- Plan simple meals or moving day (or take out food) to avoid using the refrigerator.
- Pick up cash for your trip and certified check for the mover’s invoice.
- Pack items you need to take with you including valuables, financial records, personal papers.
- Pack signed bill of lading and inventory where they can be easily reached at your destination.
- Carefully mark LAST BOX PACKED - FIRST BOX UNPACKED containing tools, shades, etc.
- Give the mover telephone number and address where you can be reached in your new town.