The Calgary Food Bank reported this week, that usage has climbed this year, largely due to the economic conditions in our city. To put things in perspective, Calgary Food Bank usage is up 17% from 2015, and 47% from 2014.
“More than 300,000 of those helped were children,” said Shawn Pegg, the FBC’s director of policy and research. “That’s enough kids to fill 6,000 school buses.” [Calgary Sun]
In saying that, your support is more important than ever, and Kirby Cox & Associates is proud to support Calgary Food Bank as well. Here's how you can help:
- Donate Food: Drop off non-perishable food in Calgary Food Bank donation bins at any major grocery store in your neighborhood. Drop off fresh or non-perishable donations directly to the Calgary Food Bank warehouse at 5000 - 11 Street SE, Door #3 at the loading bay.
- Donate Money: You can donate online here You can call 403-253-2059 for more information about donations
- Donate Time: There is an increased need for volunteers now through December 24th for special events. You can call 403-253-2059 or email: email@example.com for information.
Quick facts about the Calgary Food Bank in 2016 (so far):
- 170,093 visits
- 188 requests to emergency food hamper every day
- 228 local agencies received food to distribute to their clients
“Food is the stuff of life. It nourishes our bodies and connects us to others. Good quality food should not be out of reach for anyone.” - James McAra, CEO of the Calgary Food Bank