We are proud to support the Calgary Food Bank every year, and during the holiday season, there is especially a need for help. It was recently reported that Calgary's food bank usage is up significantly this year, so the need is certainly there.
Usage in Alberta is up by almost 83 per cent since March 2008 — right before the start of the global financial crisis — when the number of people turning to food banks was at an all-time low across the country. Three-quarters of food banks in Alberta reported an increase in use, with 41 per cent of the clients being children, according to the report. The Calgary Food Bank is feeding about 10,000 more people per month, says CEO James McAra. [CBC News]
Some quick facts about the Calgary Food Bank:
- Every day, between 80 and 100 people volunteer at the Food Bank
- Last year, almost 4,400 individual and group volunteers supported the Food Bank: 112,300 hours of time to help feed hungry Calgarians
You can help in a variety of ways, such as:
- Drop off non-perishable food in Calgary Food Bank donation bins at any major grocery store in your neighborhood.
- Drop off fresh or non-perishable donations directly to the Calgary Food Bank warehouse at 5000 - 11 Street SE, Door #3 at the loading bay.
- You can donate online here
- You can call 403-253-2059 for more information about donations
- There is an increased need for volunteers now through December 24th for special events. You can call 403-253-2059 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for information.