We often advocate for living in northwest Calgary, with all the great communities and amenities there. However, recent research from the 2016 City of Calgary census and the Avenue Magazine Best Calgary Neighbourhoods List give us even more reason to preach investing there.
Overall for 2016, Calgary's population increased by 0.36 per cent to 1,235,171, but two northwest neighbourhoods saw an increase of over 1,000 residents in the past year: Nolan Hill and Evanston.
Here's some notable figures on northwest Calgary real estate from the census and Avenue survey:
- The northwest communities of Tuscany and Panorama Hills are the top communities in Calgary with the most single-family homes. Tuscany and Panorama Hills are also among the communities with the largest populations in Calgary.
- Majority of single-family dwellers in Tuscany and Panorama Hills own their homes, with 84 per cent homeowners in Tuscany and 58 per cent homeowners in Panorama.
- The northwest community of Hillhurst was among the top five neighbourhoods with the biggest property value increase in the past year, up 5.2 per cent.
- Fun fact: the most expensive average home price in the northwest is in University Heights at $774,000.
- Huntington Hills and Brentwood are among the communities with most schools, with nine and eight respectively.
- Evanston is the community with the most nursing homes, with four.
- The community with the most engaged citizens in Calgary, is Panorama Hills.
- Bowness is the community with the most access to parks and pathways.
- The community with the lowest crime rate is Dalhousie.
For more information on northwest Calgary communities and real estate, click here.