This Sunday, the Panorama Hills e-Community Centre is hosting a program geared at home safety for youth—The Home Alone Program. This program is presented by the Canadian Safety Council, and provides kids 9-11 years of age, the skills and knowledge to be safe and responsible when they're alone for short periods of time.
It will help them understand how to prevent problems, handle real-life situations, and keep them safe and constructively occupied.
The program teaches:
- How to identify the consequences of decisions and actions made in daily life.
- How to follow safety procedures and describe ways to obtain emergency help.
- How to demonstrate knowledge of how to use 911 correctly through role-play
- Review basic first aid procedures.
Upon completion, each kid will be presented with a certificate.
The Canadian Safety Council is also teaching a babysitter's course the same day at the same location. The Canada Safety Council has been a leader in babysitter training since 1970. The Babysitters’ Training Course is the oldest and most recognized course in Canada. Over a half a million young people have been trained across the country.The Babysitters’ Training Course is aimed at young people 11/12 years of age or older.
Babysitter Training Course Outline:
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Child Development and Behavioral Problems
- Caring for the Child
- Safety and Basic First Aid
- Handling Emergencies
- The Sick Child
- Games and Play Activities
- Children with Special Needs - Advice for Parents
Courses are this Sunday, October 25. Time: Home Alone 10am - 1pm; Babysitting Course 10am - 4:30pm Cost: Home Alone $37.50 + GST; Babysitting Course: $55.00 + GST. Registration forms and more information can be found online here.