Thorough planning is the key to an easy move.
Make sure to visit our MoveSnap page and see what our digital concierge service can do for you! There are a million of things to keep track of, and it’s easy to forget about all the little things. Experience tells us most moves take 8 to 10 weeks from start to finish, so start early.
8 Weeks Before The Move
- Call for estimates from professional movers
- Draw a floorplan of your new home. Use decorating charts and a grid to place furniture to scale in each room and decide which furniture to move, and which to dispose of replace or add.
6 Weeks Before The Move
- Inventory all possessions. Decide what to move, sell, replace or donate to charity.
- Complete Canada Post change of address forms, mail to media, stores, organization.
- Obtain copies of all medical, dental, legal, accounting, and veterinarian records.
- Make arrangements for records transfer between schools on both ends of the move.
4 Weeks Before The Move
- Repair, send out for re-upholstery or clean furniture, drapes and carpeting if necessary.
- Advertise garage sale to dispose of unneeded furniture, accessories, clothes etc.
- If professional mover are packing your goods, schedule packing day(s) before move.
- If you move yourself, order adequate boxes, packing materials and tape now.
- Arrange for short-term or long-term storage if you need it.
- Make travel arrangements for pets, including necessary medical records, immunizations, etc.
3 Weeks Before The Move
- Assemble sufficient supply of packing materials and equipment.
- Pack items you don’t use immediately or that will go into storage.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move, order termination or turn-on for occupancy date.
- Confirm final travel arrangements for family and pets.
2 Weeks Before The Move
- Prepare auto(s) for the trip to new home. Check tires and havecar(s) serviced before the move.
- Terminate newspaper and other delivery services
- Confirm new bank accounts by phone and fax.
- Schedule an appliance service firm for moving day to prepare major appliances for the move.
1 Week Before The Move
- Gather important papers, records, valuables or protected shipment to the new home or safe deposit box.
- Notify friends and neighbours of the new address and phone number if available.
- Make plans for young children to be cared for on moving day.
- Fill any necessary prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks.
Day Before The Move . . . And Moving Day
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer. Give away all food in both units.
- Plan simple meals or moving day (or take out food) to avoid using the refrigerator.
- Pick up cash for your trip and certified check for the mover’s invoice.
- Pack items you need to take with you including valuables, financial records, personal papers.
- Pack signed Bill of Lading and inventory where they can be easily reached at your destination.
- Carefully mark LAST BOX PACKED - FIRST BOX UNPACKED containing tools, shades, etc.
- Give the mover telephone number and address where you can be reached in your new town.
Royal LePage's #1 Calgary Real Estate Team.
We have over 35 Years Experience specializing in Calgary Homes for Sale as well as Real Estate in Towns around Calgary. Contact our experienced, seasoned professionals today for a free consultation or call 403-247-5555.Contact Us