Thorough planning is the key to an easy move.
Moving can feel a bit like a juggling act. There are a million of things to keep track of, and it’s easy to forget about all the little things. Experience tells us most moves take 8 to 10 weeks from start to finish, so start early.
8 Weeks Before The Move
- Call for estimates from professional movers
- Draw a floorplan of your new home. Use decorating charts and a grid to place furniture to scale in each room and decide which furniture to move, and which to dispose of replace or add.
6 Weeks Before The Move
- Inventory all possessions. Decide what to move, sell, replace or donate to charity.
- Complete Canada Post change of address forms, mail to media, stores, organization.
- Obtain copies of all medical, dental, legal, accounting, and veterinarian records.
- Make arrangements for records transfer between schools on both ends of the move.
4 Weeks Before The Move
- Repair, send out for re-upholstery or clean furniture, drapes and carpeting if necessary.
- Advertise garage sale to dispose of unneeded furniture, accessories, clothes etc.
- If professional mover are packing your goods, schedule packing day(s) before move.
- If you move yourself, order adequate boxes, packing materials and tape now.
- Arrange for short-term or long-term storage if you need it.
- Make travel arrangements for pets, including necessary medical records, immunizations, etc.
3 Weeks Before The Move
- Assemble sufficient supply of packing materials and equipment.
- Pack items you don’t use immediately or that will go into storage.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move, order termination or turn-on for occupancy date.
- Confirm final travel arrangements for family and pets.
2 Weeks Before The Move
- Prepare auto(s) for the trip to new home. Check tires and havecar(s) serviced before the move.
- Terminate newspaper and other delivery services
- Confirm new bank accounts by phone and fax.
- Schedule an appliance service firm for moving day to prepare major appliances for the move.
1 Week Before The Move
- Gather important papers, records, valuables or protected shipment to the new home or safe deposit box.
- Notify friends and neighbours of the new address and phone number if available.
- Make plans for young children to be cared for on moving day.
- Fill any necessary prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks.
Day Before The Move . . . And Moving Day
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer. Give away all food in both units.
- Plan simple meals or moving day (or take out food) to avoid using the refrigerator.
- Pick up cash for your trip and certified check for the mover’s invoice.
- Pack items you need to take with you including valuables, financial records, personal papers.
- Pack signed Bill of Lading and inventory where they can be easily reached at your destination.
- Carefully mark LAST BOX PACKED - FIRST BOX UNPACKED containing tools, shades, etc.
- Give the mover telephone number and address where you can be reached in your new town.