Every year (since 2013), our city marks the anniversary of the flood with community gatherings, block parties and family events to celebrate the neighbourly spirit in Calgary.
If you're looking to take part in Calgary Neighbour Day, happening this Saturday, June 17th, here's what's happening in northwest Calgary:
- Beddington: open to Beddington residents, take part in a barbecue at the park on Berwick Road and Berwick Drive NW from 12 to 2pm. More information online.
- Highland Park: the Highland Park Community Association is putting this free pancake breakfast on, which will include games and entertainment as well. Join at 3716 - 2 Street NW from 9am to 12pm.
- Highwood: this unique event is actually a plant exchange, where you can bring plants that have outgrown their space and need to be divided, or you can share your seeds and bulbs. This is happening at the Highwood Outdoor Pool, 25 Holmwood Avenue NW from 10am to 2pm.
- Hillhurst/Sunnyside: this is a community-wide yard sale happening from 10A Street to 12 Street, where you'll find yard after yard offering trinkets and goodies. This event takes place from 9am to 2pm. There is also a games and talent show taking place (youths and adults welcome), led by an open mic with Sadler-Brown Band. Join at Edinborough Park, 625 - 3 Avenue NW from 3 to 7pm.
- Huntington Hills: join the community for a family picnic, food and lots of fun. Happening at 520 - 78 Avenue NW from 1 to 4pm.
- Ranchlands: there is a chili cook-off happening at the Ranchlands Community Association, $10 per family to attend, or free for association members. Head to 7713 Ranchlands Drive NW from 5 to 7pm.
Citywide listings for Calgary Neighbour Day this Saturday can be found online at the City of Calgary website.