Home Maintenance: Glossary of Terms

Posted by on Thursday, February 21st, 2013 at 3:55pm.

In last week's blog we discussed the importance of maintaining your home, and why you need to ensure your home is in good repair. Not only is a well-kept home good for your living situation, but also the value of your home.

When your looking into home maintenance and things to look for in that area, you may come across some words you're not familiar with. Here's a glossary of some terms to familiarize yourself with.

Air sealing - weather stripping (such as caulking) applied to seal off cracks or spaces in doors or windows, to reduce air leakage and heat loss.

Condensation - transformation of vapour of air into water on cold surfaces.

Downspout - a pipe carrying water from the eavestrough to the ground.

Eavestrough (gutter) - an eave that collects and carries away runoff from the roof of your home.

IAQ - stands for Indoor Air Quality, referring to the presence of chemical and biological contaminents in the air in your home.

Radiator - this is a heat transferring device.

Soffits - the underside of elements of a building such as staircases, roof overhangs and beams.

Stucco - cement-like material used as exterior coating of walls.

Stud finder - this is an electronic device used to detect wall density or hidden nails or screws in walls. This will assist you when puncturing holes in walls for pictures, decor, etc.

VOC - Stands for Volatile Organic Compound, which is a group of organic chemicals that can be gas or vapour at indoor temperatures. They are found in many household products and can contribute to poor indoor air quality.

Kirby Cox

1 Response to "Home Maintenance: Glossary of Terms"

Glenbrook Calgary realtor wrote: Thanks for sharing this useful post.

Posted on Wednesday, February 27th, 2013 at 9:09pm.

Leave a Comment