The house hunting process can be fun and exciting, and visiting open houses is all part of the action. If you finally find a home (or two) that appeal to you, and you make your way to an open house or showing, now what? With a few tips, you can ensure that your next open house visit is a successful experience.
Look at all the elements that are important for you and your family:
- Are there enough bedrooms or bathrooms?
- Is the house the right size?
- Is there enough storage space?
- Is it in the right location?
- Is it close to schools?
- Is the house in good repair?
- Does it fit your needs?
You may walk into a home and fall head over heels in love with it. But is it because it's beautifully decorated and furnished? Remember, you're not buying the furniture, when the owners move out, the furniture goes with them. The home may have three bedrooms, but you need four. Maybe it has a swimming pool that you don't want to have to maintain. The home is on a main road and you have small children. You have a big dog and the condominium doesn't allow pets.
Important tip: Make a checklist of your new home wants and needs; make sure that you decide on a home that has all the features that you need. While it's important to hold out for the right house that will have all the features that you need to have, it's also important to not be too picky about extra features that would be nice to have but that you don't necessarily need. Think of those elements as just the cherry on top.
LOOKING TO VISIT AN OPEN HOUSE? We are hosting a couple this weekend:
- Rocky Ridge: Saturday, August 19 from 2 to 4:30pm at 126 Rocky Ridge Drive NW. This fully finished four bedroom two-storey backs onto a large park, master bedroom with balcony and a beautifully landscaped backyard. More on this listing here.
- Royal Oak: Sunday, August 20 from 2 to 4pm at 44 Royal Highland Road NW. With over 4600 square feet of developed living space, this custom built home has been extensively renovated and shows like new. More on this listing here.