The weather is the big story in Calgary this week, with heavy rainfall warnings causing flood risks to be on a lot of Calgarians' minds. An estimated 100mm of rain is expected by the end of the weekend.
City officials are urging everyone to take precautions and flood-proof their homes as best as possible to prevent water damage at home. Here are some tips:
• Ensure your eavestroughs are clear, and downspouts are facing away from your home.
• Ensure sump pumps are in proper working order.
• Remove any valuable items from your basement.
• Check drains on your street to ensure they are working properly, if not, call 3-1-1 to report.
The City is also advising Calgarians to be safe around our waterways:
• Stay off the Bow and Elbow Rivers, and stay away from riverbanks.
• Do not attempt to drive through any roadways covered by excessive water.